-1 background/thesis/aim paragraph
-6 body paragraphs
-1 conclusion
-must be 4 pages without leaving lines.
4 pages?! Helluva writing machine I must say! I never ever once written a 4 pages long essay for history nor ss, not to mention during this 6 months of jc life, and I don't think I can ever do it! Or is it the handwriting? I got to admit, my handwriting transforms during exams when coming to writing essays. My fingers get all cringed up and I'm seemingly forced to horrendously cursive write(or I should say messy write) my answers down. It's a far cry from my usual handwriting.
Alright, putting the handwriting issue aside, H2 Hist is definitely nothing like secondary school O' level elective History paper. For O's you can memorise the answers to Stalin, Hitler, Japan and hit the bullseye like pressing ctrl + C and ctrl + V when the questions come out and expect to get at least a B3/B4. But for A level History? It's a totally different story. This taking history as an A level subject thing had already hit me right smack in the face during the first two mass lectures in my orientation weeks.
Nationalism, nationalism and more nationalism..
I had the lecture notes with me, those 2 pieces of paper filled with powerpoint slides were enough to make me giddy as if I've been asked to do 10 spins on a swivelling chair. Those two pieces of paper + written notes from the lecture were the reason I became emotionally unstable during that 3-4 days of mass lectures, with a weekend in between. It made no sense to me as I didn't take pure history as an O' level subject. It's unlike chemistry or econs mass lecture, which could be brushed up and clarified with teachers when we start our academic term, as it was just a brief intro of what to expect for the subject.
Although much encouragement was given over that weekend where I felt lost on my ability to take history, I was seriously on the verge of crying throughout the last day of mass lecture, I just could not help it. It was kinda scary, this was something that I have not experienced before, to actually feel hopeless on a subject which could determine my path in future. Basically History was my main worry since then, despite the work scope for project work calmed my emotions down much that day, as it was slightly relevant to D&T.
Now for a little insight on what a H2 History student experiences, this is a response to a student taking the 2008 A levels asking for any references or guides available for H2 History. Quoting from annoy-you-must:
"I would agree that H2 History is bloody damn difficult, simply because youAs of now, although I've roughly understood the contents for nationalism, J.O, cold war and korean war, I'm still trying to figure how to work this history stuff and put it on paper. Gotta get my ass movin' with a prayer. *crosses fingers*
don't know how to study for it at all. It is unlike maths and physics...all
you have to do is just practice and practice.
I spent great time and efforts memorising so many facts for my history, only to realise that it's not enough...I must know how to write and use those memorised facts to my advantage in the essay.
And yes, not to mention that there is
simply not much written essays for me to take reference to."
